Thursday, April 27, 2006

Black Vinegar Pork SpareRibs

These spare ribs cooked with a combination of black vinegar and sugar were finger licking good. The vinegar used did not overpower the flavours of the dish.

black vinegar pork spareribs

Ingredients
1 kg pork spare ribs (chop to bite size pieces)
1 Tbsp Oil
1 onion, sliced
1" young ginger, sliced
1 tsp garlic, minced
4 Tbsp chinkiang black vinegar
½ tsp dark soy sauce

1 Tbsp sugar
2 Tbsp rock sugar or sugar
1 Tbsp apple butter (optional)
2 Tbsp chinese rice wine
¾ cup water
dash of salt

Method :
1. Heat oil in pan. Fry ginger, onion and garlic until fragrant.
2. Add spare ribs and stir fry for 5 minutes.
3. Add the rest of the ingredients. Bring to a boil.
4. Cover and simmer on low-medium heat for 45 minutes or until spare ribs are tender.
5. Remove and serve hot with rice.


Note
The chinkiang vinegar is not sweet and not as strong as the black sweet vinegar.


Redneck says……
These are rich and delicious. Use authentic Chinese vinegar as stated – do not attempt to substitute with a European variety.

12 Comments:

Svenne Farang said...

Very, very nice dish. I have just tried it. I took the liberty to add some grinded black pepper, I thought that would go well with the pork and garlic. Also I had to add some water towards the end to stop it from drying out to much. I have exactly the same vinegar brand as in your picture and I didn´t know what to do with? So I googled the name and found your recepie. :)

Sinner said...

svenne farang,

So glad you like this dish as well. Thank you for the feedback.

Anonymous said...

Hi Sinner, I am curious why there is sugar & rock sugar? Does it make a difference? & how does apple butter taste like?

Sinner said...

Jan,
You can use either sugar or rock sugar in this recipe.

I do not know whether it will make a great difference in taste but you can get a more in depth read about the different types of sugar here.

I am only using apple butter because I have some. It is a very concentrated form of apple sauce with a cinnamony taste.

Anonymous said...

This is one of the easiest & tasty pork dish to prepare. It will on my regular dinner menu! Taste is just nice, with tat vinegar brand u recommended. Next time, I would cook it in a slow cooker to tenderise the texture of the meat. Thank you Sinner !

Sinner said...

Jan, glad you tried the dish. Appreciate the feedback :)

Unknown said...

Have used your recipe at least 4 times now!! Thank you for sharing. Both my husband and I like it a bit more tangy, so I took the liberty of adding some vinegar to it. Also tried it once in the crockpot. Just like pulled pork... Falls off the bone. Yumm! Thanks again!

Sinner said...

Hi Yvonne,

I was cracking my head over what to have for dinner when your comment arrive just on time. Vinegar spare ribs it will be !

Am so glad you and your husband like the dish.

Thanks for the feedback and for solving my dinner dilemma ;)

Unknown said...

Sinner... This is tonight's dinner again! :) Can't wait to see what other recipes you have up your sleeve. Miss your new adventures.

Sinner said...

Hi Yvonne,

You guys really like this dish, don't you.
Too busy at the moment so am just 'revisiting' our old favourites.

Yvonne said...

Yes we do! And also, I can only make about a dozen dishes... :)

Anonymous said...

I wonder if you or any of your readers blanch or boil the pork ribs for a few minutes to remove the scum before cooking?

KY

LinkWithin Related Stories Widget for Blogs