Monday, February 04, 2008

Fah Sang Paeng ~ Chinese Peanut Cookies

Another one of those cookies that are popularly served during Chinese New Year. I make these peanut cookies throughout the year as it is just too moreish to confine it to just a special ocassion.

Make them small enough to pop the whole cookie into the mouth as it is very crumbly.

Chinese Peanut Biscuit
I would like to take this opportunity to wish all my family and friends throughout the world KONG HEI FATT CHOY.

May the New Year bring everyone Prosperity, Good Health, Wealth and Good Eats.

Chinese Peanut Cookies


Makes 77 cookies

Ingredients
300g plain flour
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
110g sugar
200g coarse ground roasted peanut
130-170ml corn oil, veg oil or onion oil


egg for egg wash

Method
1. Sieve flour with baking powder and baking soda into a food processor.

2. Add in peanuts and sugar.

3. With the food processor running, drizzle in the corn oil and whizz until the mixture clump together.

4. Remove, cover and let rest for ½-1 hour (by resting it I find the mixture easier to shape and not so crumbly).

5. Divide and shape into small balls. I prefer to use my rounded ½ Tbsp measuring spoon and press it into shape. Place close together on baking tray (they do not expand). Poke center with chopstick or end of a pen.

6. Apply eggwash and bake at 175C for 20 minutes or until golden brown.

Fah Sang Paeng
Tip :
I usually use the onion oil saved from when I fry onions making the peanut cookies extra fragrant.

Recipe : karlskrona @ Imperial Kitchen (adapted)

11 Comments:

jadepearl said...

Have a wonderful reunion dinner with your family!!! What are you cooking? Will be doing steamboat...easy mah! :)

Sinner said...

Hi jadepearl,
Steamboat sounds good. We are going to have our fav dish...roast duck.
You have a wonderful reunion dinner and New Year celebrations :)

Little Corner of Mine said...

Wishing you a Happy and Properous CNY! Gong Xi Fa Cai ya!

Sinner said...

Kong Hei Fatt Choy, LCOM.

Anonymous said...

Hi Sinner !

We luv these peanut cookies..just melt in your mouth ! yummy... Thank you !

Sinner said...

Hi Jan,
I am guessing you will be making more of these cookies for Chinese New Year for your guest ;)

Anonymous said...

Right on!..I'll try fine ground peanut powder next time..cos I just used coarse grounded peanuts which end result looks like little seaseme balls..haha..

Fadeela said...

Hello ,
Can I use Olive Oil or Sunflower Oil instead or margarine?
Thank you

Sinner said...

Hi Fadeela,
You can use sunflower oil to make these chinese peanut cookies. Olive oil would be too strong in flavour.

ElizabethQ said...

Hi! Recently found & enjoyed reading your blog. I've even tried some resipes & all are good, delish and appeal to my love of Asian and Filipino flavors. I bakes these Peanut Cookies recipe many times & it's terrific! Hope it's ok with you if I bake it,and mention in my blog that I got the recipe from yours. Will also link back to your blogspot. Thanks & Happy New Year 2012 !

Sinner said...

Hi ElizabethQ,
So glad you have tried and liked some of our recipes. :) No worries to mention this peanut cookies in your blog.
Thank you for the feedback. Happy New Year to you too.

LinkWithin Related Stories Widget for Blogs