Sunday, August 24, 2008

Dry Roasted Peanuts

Ever since I started making my own peanut butter, I have been using a lot of roasted peanuts. Hence it makes sense to have some available for instant use. To save time and electricity, I often roast a big batch and store them in the freezer.

The peanuts can be mixed with other nuts and dried fruits for a healthy snack.

roasted peanuts
1 kg raw peanuts

Method
1. Place the raw peanuts on top of a paper towel in a glass dish (the paper helps to absorb moisture during the process).

raw peanuts

2. Microwave for 10 minutes in 2 minutes burst. Give it a quick stir often. Watch carefully as it can get burnt quite quickly.

3. At this stage, the nuts will be cooked and can be eaten but further roasting to brown it gives it that extra nice fragrance.

4. Bake at 180C for a further 5-10 minutes or grill for 2-5 minutes. If grilling keep a close watch as it can burn quite quickly.

5. When cooled, rub peanuts together with your fingers to remove skin. Toss in the air and the skin will fly out.

tossing to remove peanut skins
6. Use as required for satay sauce, kok chai (peanut puff), peanut cookies or peanut butter. For beer nuts, drizzle some oil on the peanuts, sprinkle salt and stir. Store in airtight containers.

Tip
1. If roasting in big quantity, store it in the freezer as nuts can go rancid quite quickly. To use remove from freezer and leave at room temperature.

9 Comments:

GFAD said...

Hello! I came across your recipe for chee cheong fun (http://neckredrecipes.blogspot.com/2006/09/chee-cheong-fun-with-thim-jeong-steam.html) and had success following your exact recipe and method.
I am writing a post on making my own cheong fun and I wonder if I could post your recipe and link your post onto my blogsite? Thanks!

Sinner said...

Hi ka..t,
Yes you can post the recipe with credit and a linkback. Glad you had success making it. Thanks for the feedback.

GFAD said...

Many thanks Sinner!

Wonder if you have a recipe for peanut creme (fah sang woo) as well? On my last visit back to KL, I did not find the ones sold to be very good and it is my favourite. I guess I will have to make it myself if I want it to taste the way I want it! :)

Sinner said...

Sorry ka..t, can't help you with
peanut creme.
I am one of those strange people who don't like fah sang woo.

GFAD said...

Really? I would have thought otherwise since you make your own peanut butter! :D

I have done my post on CCF. Hope you are ok with the way I linked you. Thanks again.

Sinner said...

ka..t, told you I was strange. ha ha.
I am a peanut butter addict especially the homemade version ;)

Anonymous said...

Hi Sinner,
Good morning, I understand that you normal did a batch of roasted peanut & store in the freezer, won't it get soften if kept in the freezer. Please advice.

Sinner said...

Hi Delphine,
No, the nuts don't go soft in the freezer.
I do the same when I fry the savoury coated nuts. I keep a small jar outside and then keep the rest in the freezer. It has the same crunchiness when defrosted.

Anonymous said...

Hi Sinner,
Thanks for your reply, I think I will also keep them in the freezer in plastic bag.

LinkWithin Related Stories Widget for Blogs